Thursday, September 16, 2010

Good Enough To Pray - September 16, 2010

Daily Reading

Daily Verse
Give ear, O God, and hear; open your eyes
and see the desolation of the city that bears your Name.
We do not make requests of you because we are righteous,
but because of your great mercy.
Daniel 9:18

Daily Thought

"I can't pray," I shared with my friend. "I'm not really living like I should. I'm messing up a lot, and I keep thinking I have no right to pray."

I'm being humble, I thought.

"What if you were doing good?" asked my friend. "What if you were reading the Bible every day and sharing your faith and serving people? You can pray then, right?"

"Well, yes, of course."

"You're being proud," he said.

The proud prays because he is good.
The humble prays because God is good.

"The tax collector would not even look up to heaven, but beat his breast and said, 'God, have mercy on me, a sinner.' I tell you that this man went home justified before God."
--Luke 18:13-14

To God's Glory,
Dave Price

Daily Prayer

God, full of righteousness and grace, justice and mercy. It is a wonder that I can approach You. It's wonderful that You listen. My life does not warrant Your attention, but through the goodness of Your Son and the righteousness He gives me through His death, I can speak with You. I can even speak confidently. I have Your promises, written in Your Word, and I trust You completely.

So, God, I bring You praise, and I also bring the needs and concerns that surround me. I lay them at Your feet, and I pray in the Name of Your Son, Jesus Christ, Your will be done.

Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment