Saturday, January 9, 2010

A Good Excuse - January 9, 2010

Daily Reading

Daily Verse
My feet have closely followed his steps;
I have kept to his way without turning aside.
I have not departed from the commands of his lips;
I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.
Job 23:11-12

Daily Thought

I love a good excuse. I mean, a real one, not a lie.

My dad went in for surgery yesterday. Shoulder replacement and reconstruction. It wasn't life-threatening, but he is 83 years old. So I sat next to my mom for eight hours in the waiting room. If I overlook a commitment or forget a promise or neglect a responsibility, people will understand. I'm off the hook, right? My dad had surgery.

Job's business went bankrupt.
My feet have closely followed his steps.

His life savings disappeared overnight.
I have kept to his way without turning aside.

A tragedy took the lives of his sons and daughters.
I have not departed from the commands of his lips.

His body was ravaged with sores and boils.
I have treasured the words of his mouth more than my daily bread.

"But, wait a minute," we say. "You don't understand, it's different for me."
...These economic times...
...If you grew up in my family...
...We are going to get married anyway...
...My husband doesn't listen to me...

When your wife says, "Are you still holding on to your integrity? Curse God and die!" -- you've got a good excuse. A loophole.

Job had a good excuse, but he desired to be godly.

To God's Glory,
Dave

Daily Prayer

Dear God, you are faithful and good. Your ways are right and true. Our faith in you is justified over and over. All things work together for good. Not most things. All. If we love you, if we follow you, we participate in what is good. When we stray, it is to our loss. Why do we look around? God, may we keep our eyes on Jesus, on your Word, on your truth.

Thank you, wonderful Savior, for your path of righteousness. Thank you for your mercy when we step off the path, and your grace which brings us back to you. We love you with all of our heart and mind and strength.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment