Sunday, January 10, 2010

Barking Dogs - January 10, 2010

Daily Reading

Daily Verse
He may let them rest in a feeling of security,
but his eyes are on their ways.
Job 24:23

Daily Thought

Annoying barking dogs.

He thought he got away with it. He almost did.

The chapter begins, "In the spring of the year, the time when kings go out to battle, King David remained in Jerusalem."

Sin's moment arrives when you are not where you should be. The soldiers were away, and the wife of Uriah was available. She conceived a child.

To cover it up, the king brought the husband home from battle. If Uriah would enjoy a night with his wife, no one would know David had, as well. But Uriah was one of David's mighty men, an honorable man, who does not take pleasure when other warriors battle.

To cover it up, the king got Uriah drunk, but Uriah's integrity was stronger than the wine.

To cover it up, the king murdered Uriah.

David believed, at last, the secret was secure. He could rest. When you finally get a sin wrapped up all nice and tidy, you breathe a sigh of relief.

But the dogs keep barking. You robbed their home. Chained to the porch, they can't bite you, but they can bark. And they don't let up. Adultery. Deceit. Murder.

When I kept silent,
my bones wasted away
through my groaning all day long.
For day and night
your hand was heavy upon me;
my strength was sapped
as in the heat of summer.
--Psalm 32:3-4

Pray that you never find rest in sin. Worse than barking dogs would be peaceful iniquity. David found discipline and justice because of the dogs, but he also found God's mercy and grace. He found peace.

Thank goodness for barking dogs. Wonderful barking dogs.

To God's Glory,
Dave

Daily Prayer

Father in heaven, you are holy, you are good. Your kingdom is righteous. I long to live forever in a righteous kingdom.

Search me, O God, and know my heart. Test me and know my thoughts. If there is any wicked way in me, straighten my path. Lead me in the way everlasting.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment