Tuesday, January 26, 2010

700 Chances - January 22, 2010

Daily Reading

Daily Verse
"I am the God of Bethel, where you anointed a pillar
and where you made a vow to me.
Now leave this land at once and go back to your native land."
Genesis 31:13

Daily Thought

Thomas Edison, in the process of inventing the incandescent light bulb, said, "I have not failed 700 times. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work."

Have you heard that our God is a God of second chances? No way. Seven hundred chances, and keep counting. Check it out.

Adam and Eve. Anything and everything you want. Just don't eat that.

They ate it. Round two, Cain and Abel. Round three, Seth. Noah. Abraham. Lot.

Along comes Jacob. He and God exchange vows.

God vows to Jacob, "I will make you a great nation and give you the land to live in. I will bless you, and through your offspring, I will bless the entire world. I will be with you wherever you go."

Jacob's vow: "Okay, God, if you do all that, your cut is 10%. And I will follow you."

Does it seem like God gets the short end of the stick? No problem, God has no trouble keeping his end. The "I will follow you" part is killer on us.

The Thomas Edison quote wasn't about God. It's about us. You and me. We keep experimenting with life, and God calls us back to the one plan he has had since the beginning. It is called grace, it shows off God's love, and it's name is Jesus Christ.

To God's Glory,
Dave

Daily Prayer

Gracious God, You are full of Love. You are Almighty and Good, and You watch over Your world. You are sovereign and Your are Lord.

God, may we follow You and Your ways. You place a path in front of us and give us light to see our way. May we not stray, but trust fully in You. Thank You that Your path leads to life, life abundant, and life everlasting.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment