Tuesday, March 16, 2010

The "Is-Ought" Problem - March 16, 2010

Daily Reading

Daily Verse
There will always be poor people in the land.
Therefore I command you to be
openhanded toward your brothers
and toward the poor and needy in your land.
Deuteronomy 15:11

Daily Thought

Deuteronomy 15:4 says, "There should be no poor among you in the land."

Deuteronomy 15:11 says, "There will always be poor people in the land."

This is an "is-ought" problem. Philosophers think about the "is-ought" problem. They think you cannot rationally come up with "ought" statements from "is" statements. They think there is no solution to this problem. They even named the problem. Hume's Guillotine. You can look it up.

"There will always be poor," said verse 11. "Therefore I command you to be openhanded toward the poor and needy."

"There should be no poor," said verse 4, "if only you obey my commands."

If we quit thinking about the problem and start obeying the command then what ought to be would be what is and we wouldn't have an "is-ought" problem to think about.

I don't know, just a thought.

To God's Glory,
Dave

Daily Prayer

Lord God, You have come to bring Your justice into the land, to give Your grace to the repentant, to bless the meek and the poor, to comfort those who mourn, to bring righteousness and goodness to those who seek Your face. May Your Kingdom come and Your will be done.

Father, I pray that my heart would be free of darkness, full of light. That I would see others, love others, and serve others the way You do. God, that I would look at others as more important than myself, that I would be sensitive to needs, that I would have open hands, and feet ready to go wherever You lead. That people would praise Your name because of the faithfulness of Your followers.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment