Monday, May 17, 2010

Don't Build A Legacy - May 17, 2010

Daily Reading

Daily Verse
During his lifetime Absalom had taken a pillar
and erected it in the King's Valley
as a monument to himself, for he thought,
"I have no son to carry on the memory of my name."
He named the pillar after himself,
and it is called Absalom's Monument to this day.
2Samuel 18:18

Daily Thought

On stage stood boys and girls, men and women, ages 0-20. They are here. That is the message, because for 20 years, Barbara has helped pregnant women who are wondering, "What do I do now?"

Ben delivers bags of groceries to people living in poor communities. Then he goes home - next door. Food isn't all they need. They need a man committed to them, and they need that man's Savior. So Ben moved into the neighborhood.

Ben and Barbara are not building legacies. They are building lives.

The legacies are the lives.

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.'
--Matthew 25:35-36

To God's Glory,
Dave

Daily Prayer

Creator God, You spoke all things into existence. That alone is awe-some. Then You continue to care for it, and we see Your hand in our lives. Praise God.

Your image is in all, but You have chosen to identify with the poor, the needy, the helpless. Your love and care goes to especially to those who do not have the means to return, but only to receive. Your love is giving, not getting. May my life be shaped by Your love.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment