Tuesday, May 4, 2010

I Can't Dance, Anyway - May 4, 2010

Daily Reading

Daily Verse
"It was because you, the Levites,
did not bring it up the first time
that the LORD our God broke out in anger against us.
We did not inquire of him
about how to do it in the prescribed way."
1Chronicles 15:13

Daily Thought

From sundown Friday to sundown Saturday, "kosher" elevators stop at every floor and the doors open and close. Pushing the 9th floor button is working on the Sabbath. Stopping and waiting nine times isn't.

My friend went to confession. I'm not sure what he told the priest, but the priest told him to do ten "Our Fathers" and five "Hail Marys."

Why don't we ask God what he wants. "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?"

Jesus replied: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."
--Matthew 22:36-40

The Christian college I attended required a signed covenant that said, "I will not dance, drink, smoke, or gamble." I wasn't 21, so gambling and drinking were against the law, smoking is dumb, and, well, I can't dance, anyway.

To God's Glory,
Dave

Daily Prayer

Heavenly Father, we worship You. May we do it the way You want, the way You ask us to, the way that pleases You. God, too often we worship You to please ourselves. May I be more concerned about you pleasure on a Sunday than mine. May my Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday belong to You. May my life be a living sacrifice.

God, help me be Your servant to the poor and the needy. Keep me from becoming self-centered and immoral like the world around me. Keep me from evil, that might heart would desire all things good and righteous.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment