Saturday, May 8, 2010

Those Things I Can Do - May 7, 2010

Daily Reading

Daily Verse
"Go and tell my servant David, 'This is what the LORD says:
You are not the one to build me a house to dwell in.'"
--1Chronicles 17:4

Daily Thought

I can't sing harmony. I can't dance. I can't make free throws. I can't throw strikes consistently. I can't play drums. I can't paint a beautiful sunset.

I've tried. Sometimes hours a day, day after day, for months and even years.

The motivational poster says, "You can do anything you set your mind to do."

Apparently not.

There are times when determination simply will not substitute for ability. And that's okay.

I still sing (in the shower), I have fun playing basketball (passing more than shooting), and I enjoy sunsets.

We have different gifts, according to the grace given us. If a man's gift is prophesying, let him use it in proportion to his faith. If it is serving, let him serve; if it is teaching, let him teach; if it is encouraging, let him encourage; if it is contributing to the needs of others, let him give generously; if it is leadership, let him govern diligently; if it is showing mercy, let him do it cheerfully.
--Romans 12:6-8

On the other hand, those things I can do, I do with all I got.

To God's Glory,
Dave

Daily Prayer

Lord God, You delight in us. There is nothing we can add to Your worth or Your wealth. You have no need of our offerings or our sacrifices. You desire them, not for Your gain but for ours. When we give we gain. Our faith and trust grows. Our relationship strengthens.

All that I am, God, comes from You. I am happiest when I pursue what You have created me to do. Take my desires God and shape them to Your will. You delight in me. I long to delight in You. Do not let me be my own obstacle to my delight. May I desire You fully forever.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment