Saturday, June 12, 2010

All These Things - June 12, 2010

Daily Reading

Daily Verse
When all the work King Solomon had done
for the temple of the LORD was finished,
he brought in the things his father David had dedicated
-the silver and gold and the furnishings-
and he placed them in the treasuries of the LORD's temple.
1Kings 7:51

Daily Thought

The first Temple, 960 - 586BC, destroyed by the Babylonians. The second Temple, 516BC - 70AD, destroyed by the Romans.

Jesus left the temple and was walking away when his disciples came up to him to call his attention to its buildings.
--Matthew 24:1

Temples last a long time, but they don't last forever.

"Do you see all these things?" he asked. "I tell you the truth, not one stone here will be left on another; every one will be thrown down."
--Matthew 24:2

We make religion out of things, the buildings we design, the clothes we wear, the songs we sing, the translations we read, the rituals and the statues and the stained glass.

"Do you see these things?" Jesus asked. They don't last, they won't last. Stop calling my attention to things.

This is what the LORD says: "Heaven is my throne, and the earth is my footstool. Where is the house you will build for me?"
--Isaiah 66:1

You are that house.

Jesus said, "Here I am! I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, I will come in and eat with him, and he with me."
--Revelation 3:20

To God's Glory
Dave Price

Daily Prayer

Holy God, your servant King David asked, "O LORD, who am I that You care for me," that You turn your attention toward me. I keep turning my attention toward things, and yet You look upon me and care about me. God, may my focus never waver. Keep me from being distracted by things. May I look to You first, may I seek Your kingdom, your goodness, You always.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment