Thursday, June 10, 2010

Veritas Is A Cool Motto - June 10, 2010

Daily Reading

Daily Verse
Buy the truth and do not sell it;
get wisdom, discipline and understanding.
Proverbs 23:23

Daily Thought

Emblazoned on the gates guarding Harvard Yard is the Latin word Veritas. Truth.

It is the motto of Harvard University.

Entering through those gates, I was greeted by the statue of John Harvard. Except it wasn't.

Dubbed the Statue of Three Lies, the bronze depiction is inscribed:
  • John Harvard (no, it's a model)
  • Founder (no, but he contributed A LOT of money)
  • 1638 (no, 1636)
Buy the truth and do not sell it;
get wisdom, discipline, and understanding.
--Proverbs 23:23

But where? Where does one find truth? Even the very gates that proclaim truth betray me.

Jesus answered, "I am the way and the truth and the life."
Jesus prayed, "Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth."
--John 14:6; 17:17

To God's Glory,
Dave Price

Daily Prayer

Dear God, I love reading Your Word. I learn so much about You, and about me. Okay, I'll admit, I don't always love learning about me. But I have learned to love the Truth, and Your Word is Truth. It reveals Your glory and it exposes my sin. As painful as that often is, God, it is good, because it leads me to Your grace, which returns me to Your glory.

God, even while I reject You and rebel against You, You love me so much that You seek me out. You expose my sin with Truth, not to condemn me, but to turn my heart back to You. I love Truth, God. It opens the door for Your love and grace.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment