Saturday, June 5, 2010

John Wooden, The Wisdom of Westwood - June 5, 2010

Daily Reading

Daily Verse
Listen, for I have worthy things to say;
I open my lips to speak what is right.
Choose my instruction instead of silver,
knowledge rather than choice gold,
for wisdom is more precious than rubies,
and nothing you desire can compare with her.
Proverbs 8:6, 10-11

Daily Thought

For whoever finds me [wisdom] finds life and receives favor from the LORD.
--Proverbs 8:35

He was nicknamed The Wizard of Westwood - a title he disdained.

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

"What you are as a person is far more important that what you are as a basketball player."

"Adversity is the state in which man most easily becomes acquainted with himself, being especially free of admirers then."

"Pick up your own orange peels."

"You can't live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you."

"Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful."

"The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom,
and knowledge of the Holy One is understanding.
For through me your days will be many,
and years will be added to your life.
If you are wise, your wisdom will reward you.
--Proverbs 9:10-12

"I always tried to make it clear that basketball is not the ultimate. It is of small importance in comparison to the total life we live. There is only one kind of life that truly succeeds, and that is the one that places faith in the hands of the Savior. Until that is done, we are on an aimless course that runs in circles and goes nowhere. Material possessions, winning scores, and great reputations are meaningless in the eyes of the Lord, because He knows what we really are and what we really can be, and that is all that matters."

--John Wooden (1910-2010), The Wisdom of Westwood

To God's Glory,
Dave Price

Daily Prayer

My God, Creator of all, Author of good, Wise Judge, Loving Savior, I live this life for an audience of One. You are the crowd, it is Your applause I long to hear, "Well done good and faithful servant." May my life be a reflection of Your grace and goodness. May I at all times be concerned for Your reputation, not my own. If I say I love You with all my heart and soul, mind and strength, may my words be backed up by my life.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment