Thursday, July 8, 2010

Forbid It and I Will Want It More - July 8, 2010

Daily Reading

Daily Verse
But after Uzziah became powerful,
his pride led to his downfall.
He was unfaithful to the LORD his God,
and entered the temple of the LORD
to burn incense on the altar of incense.
2Chronicles 26:16

Daily Thought

Kings come from any tribe, except the tribe of Levi.

Priests only come from the tribe of Levi. Levites cannot be kings.

Therefore, no one can be a king and also be a priest.

Uzziah was sixteen years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem fifty-two years. As long as he sought the LORD, God gave him success.
2Chronicles 26:3, 5

Lots of success.

His fame spread far and wide, because he had become very powerful.
--2Chronicles 26:15

There was nothing Uzziah could not do. Well, almost nothing.

But after Uzziah became powerful, he entered the temple of the LORD to burn incense on the altar of incense.
--2Chronicles 26:16

Only priests get to do that. Not kings.

The forbidden fruit.
God said, "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil
Genesis 2:16-17

A surefire way to get me to do something is to forbid it.

To God's Glory,
Dave Price

Daily Prayer

My God, You have created such an incredible world. It displays Your handiwork, Your wisdom, Your majesty. And You placed us in this world and told us to take charge of it. You are the giver of all good things. And yet, because of pride, because of my love of my self, I delight in doing things myself, apart from You.

God, protect me from my pride. My desire leads to my destruction. Pursuing Your delights leads to an abundant life, overflowing with goodness. May I always find satisfaction in what is good.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment