Monday, July 5, 2010

Once Upon A Time There Was A King - July 5, 2010

Daily Reading

Daily Verse
After the death of Jehoiada,
the officials of Judah came and paid homage to the king,
and he listened to them.
2Chronicles 24:17

Daily Thought

Pinocchio, by Carlo Collodi, begins...

ONCE UPON a time there was...
"A king!" my little readers will say at once.
No, children, you're wrong. Once upon a time there was a piece of wood.

King Joash did what was right in the eyes of the LORD all the years Jehoiada the priest instructed him.
--2Kings 12:2

"You poor little simpleton! Don't you know that if you do that, you'll grow up to be a real jackass and everyone will make fun of you?"
"Hush, you gloom-and-doom Cricket!" yelled Pinocchio.
"Poor Pinocchio! I really feel sorry for you!"
"Why would you feel sorry for me?"
"Because you're a puppet and, what's worse, you're a blockhead."

After the death of Jehoiada, the officials of Judah came and paid homage to King Joash, and he listened to them. They abandoned the temple of the LORD, the God of their fathers, and worshiped Asherah poles and idols.
--2Chronicles 24:17-18

Turns out, the children were correct, because a puppet can be carved out of wood, or out of a king.

To God's Glory,
Dave Price

Daily Prayer

Heavenly Father, the fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom. Teach me to walk in fear of You, never forgetting what the world has in store for me if I reject or neglect Your Word.

God, may I love Your Word. May I store it inside me and treasure it. Whenever a situation in life requires it, may I always be prepared to retrieve Your wisdom from my heart. Your Word is truth. By reading it, I learn how You think and act, how You feel and love. Your Word is truth. It frees me from the chains of lies and sin. It brings life.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment