Thursday, November 11, 2010

Drop Your Weapons - November 11, 2010

Daily Reading

Daily Verse
"Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you.
I do not give to you as the world gives.
Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid."
John 14:27

Daily Thought

World War I, 1914.

Christmas Eve. Silence replaced gun fire between the Germans and the British.

Then singing. From the Germans, caroling. Stille Nacht (Silent Night).

A placard was raised above a trench, "YOU NO FIGHT, WE NO FIGHT." It was the best English the German could produce.

The British responded, "MERRY CHRISTMAS."

Soldiers emerged, cautious at first, then joyfully. Gifts were exchanged, chocolate cake and wine, photos of families. A soccer game erupted (British 3, Germans 2).

It was Christmas, after all.

"I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace."

It didn't last. The generals did not like it.

It was war, after all.

"In this world you will have trouble."

But for a day there was peace on earth, good will toward men.

"But take heart! I have overcome the world."
~John 16:33

To God's Glory,
Dave Price

Daily Prayer

God of peace, Shalom. I look forward to the day the world is brought into order. When the lion lays with the lamb. When there are no enemies, no war, no hatred, no tears. No death.

You Son brought Your Kingdom near. May I embrace the peace that life in You brings. I know my future and have nothing to fear, because my eternity rests in You.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment