Friday, November 12, 2010

Trading Places - November 12, 2010

Daily Reading

Daily Verse
When the centurion and those with him who were guarding Jesus
saw the earthquake and all that had happened,
they were terrified, and exclaimed, "Surely he was the Son of God!"
Matthew 27:54

Daily Thought

"Barabbas!" He heard his name. "Barabbas!" they cried. In chains, in prison, a rebel, a murderer, and a thief.

"Crucify him!!" cried the crowd.

Death. Justice.

From where he stood, a prison cell, Barabbas could not hear Pilate speaking in the courtyard. Only the shout of the crowd.

Now it was the governor's custom at the Feast to release a prisoner chosen by the crowd. "Which of the two do you want me to release to you?" asked the governor.

"Barabbas," they answered.

"What shall I do, then, with Jesus who is called Christ?" Pilate asked.

"Crucify him!" They shouted all the louder. "Crucify him!!"
~Matthew 27:15, 21-23

Imagine his surprise when he was set free...

Wanting to satisfy the crowd, Pilate released Barabbas to them. He had Jesus flogged, and handed him over to be crucified.
~Mark 15:15

...and another man was crucified on the cross he deserved.

To God's Glory,
Dave Price

Daily Prayer

My God, my God, I am not forsaken. I deserve to be, but You loved me by death. Death on a cross. Your Son took what I deserved. He took my place and my penalty and set me free.

I show someone the smallest amount of grace and I pat myself on the back - as if I'd done something grand. You demonstrate Your love in this, that even while I sin, and keep sinning, and delight in sin, you died for me.

Now, how can I keep sinning. I must not. Not to earn Your favor, but because I have already received Your grace, Your mercy, and Your righteousness. I am newly born, a saint. Thank You, God.

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment